The history of Caucasus University dates back to 1998, when the Caucasus School of Business was established.
The idea of creating Caucasus University (CU) was based on the possibility of getting a quality education. It is this desire and goal that has become the basis for the fact that today it is a higher education institution in the region that offers all the conditions necessary for students to receive not only a quality education, but international programs and practice-oriented teaching, with the training of competitive personnel in the international market provided by specialists with international qualifications.
Caucasus University is made up of schools of business, law, media, technology, public administration, humanities and social sciences, tourism, medicine and healthcare management, economics, and education.
Importantly, CU received re-authorization and the best evaluation based on all seven standards of higher education authorization: “Complies with the requirements of the standard”, meaning the university fully meets the goals of higher education in Georgia as well as the requirements of the European educational space.
The historical campus of Caucasus University is also distinguished, and today it is one of the largest educational institutions in infrastructure and modern equipment, both in Georgia and the region.
The Batumi campus is also noteworthy, the construction of which will be completed in 2023. The building will be equipped with modern infrastructure, a library, laboratories, sports fields and a swimming pool. A student dormitory will also be built, which will significantly contribute to attracting international students to the Adjara region and developing the region as an education hub.
In 2019, CU opened a European campus in France, based on the Rennes School of Business, and was the first educational institution on the Georgian market to do so. Rennes Business School is working on several joint projects with CU, including a dual doctoral program.
For Caucasus University, one of the main strategic directions is the internationalization of education, along with the increase of scientific research and the continuous improvement of the quality of teaching. CU is aware of the demands of the global education market and supports the strengthening of international experience in educational programs, which includes student and academic staff mobility, joint educational programs, gaining international accreditation and recognition, and international cooperation in research projects.
Caucasus University constantly takes important steps in the international arena, aiming to strengthen its position and strengthen public trust. A clear example of this is its strategic partnership with world-leading educational institutions and the implementation of projects of national importance.
Since its inception, CU has collaborated with various universities around the world and currently has 166 partners in 54 countries. In addition, it has gained a number of international accreditations, implementing joint and dual degree programs with leading universities globally.
CU collaborates with the European Commission-funded Erasmus+ program, with the Erasmus+ National Office ranking Caucasus University among the top private universities in the country in terms of mobility and institutional development projects.
Students of Caucasus University, in addition to semester exchange programs, have the opportunity to participate in international programs:
• Jean-Monnet Summer School
• ERNST_MACH scholarship program announced by the Austrian government
• Grant projects announced by the US Embassy – UGRAD, SUSI, Fulbright
• German Government Scholarship Programs – DAAD
• Programs funded by the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs
• Visegrad Scholarship Programs
The university also presents significant grant projects funded by international donor organizations, including institutional development, development of new programs, improvement of teaching and learning quality, establishment of research centers, increase of library resources, improvement of university life, and the development of various support services.
To support the internationalization process, CU is actively working to gain recognition from leading international organizations. This process significantly contributes to the strengthening of a number of programs and the position of CU itself in the international arena.
• TedQual Certificate Certified by the World Tourism Organization Academy – Caucasus University is the first educational body in the region to successfully receive the UN World Tourism Organization TedQual Certificate. The TedQual Certificate is one of the highest standards for education, training and research in tourism. The quality system examines tourism programs from an educational and organizational point of view and studies their effectiveness.
• AACSB Accreditation – Caucasus University became a member of AACSB in 2007, and in 2018 gained the right to start the accreditation process. In 2020, CU successfully completed the second phase of AASCB accreditation and its initial self-assessment report (ISER) was unconditionally accepted and positively evaluated by the AASCB Board. Caucasus University is the first educational institution in the region at this stage of the AACSB accreditation process. AACSB accreditation is the highest quality standard, comprising the top 5% of the world’s business schools.
• IQA Accreditation – From 2005 to 2010, CU received IQA accreditation from the Central and Eastern European Management Development Association (CEEMAN).
Caucasus University runs joint and dual degree programs with leading universities in Europe and America:
• Master in Digital Logistics Management with TH Wildau, Germany
• Grenoble School of Management Bachelor’s Degree Program in Business Administration (Specialization – Marketing, Management, Finance, Audit)
• Joint undergraduate degree in Hospitality Management with Fairleigh Dickinson University, USA
• Joint Undergraduate Program in Cyber Security with the University of New Jersey, USA
• Undergraduate Dual Degree Program in Business Administration from Upper Austrian University of Applied Sciences (Specialization – Marketing), Austria
• Undergraduate Dual Degree Program in Business Administration at ISCTE Institute, University of Lisbon (Specialization-Management), Portugal
• Joint BBA Program with René School of Business, France
• Executive MBA Program with Grenoble School of Management, France
Caucasus University collaborates with the University of California, Berkeley. Under the agreement between the universities, students of Caucasus University have the opportunity to participate in UC Berkeley short-term study programs in Business, Law, Social Sciences, Architecture, Economics, Information Technology, Media, and International Relations.
Caucasus University and Rosen College of Hospitality Management at the University of Central Florida have a Strategic Partnership Agreement which established a joint master’s program in hospitality and tourism management in accordance with modern international standards.
In addition, the partnership includes student exchange, academic staff training, joint research, short-term certification courses and internships in Florida, which significantly expands the capacity of the Caucasus School of Tourism and the sector.
The above is a but small list of the activities that Caucasus University has been actively carrying out for more than 20 years, thus reassuring each student they are making the right choice when they choose Caucasus University, and that their chosen path is a guarantee of continuous development, freedom and professional advancement.
By Ana Dumbadze